TRAVELLER EDUCATION AND ATTAINMENT SERVICE
Travellers have historically been excluded from education. Although, now most Traveller children attend schools, Ofsted has noted that they are a group most at risk of underachievement in the education system
The Traveller Education and Achievement Service (TEAS) aims to promote access, inclusion, achievement, attainment and opportunities for Traveller families living in or visiting Darlington. TEAS is an integral part of the services The Rydal Academy provides on behalf of the Local Authority for the benefit of all Darlington Schools, Colleges and Early Years Providers.
TEAS offers expertise, knowledge and support around work with Gypsy, Roma and Traveller pupils (GRT). The team is staffed by a specialist Teacher, Higher Level Teaching Assistant and Education Support Worker who have a wide experience of working with GRT communities across Darlington.
The team works in close partnership with schools and families to improve the outcomes of GRT pupils across the town; to help raise their attendance, attainment and aspirations. Education settings, families and other agencies can approach TEAS directly to access the following services:
Welcome to Darlington’s Traveller Education and Attainment Service. We hope that if you are looking at this page you are well on your way to enrolling your child/children in a Darlington School.
We understand that some parents may have anxieties about sending their child/children to school, however we can help with,
- Support for families with pre-school age children to encourage early learning and uptake of nursery and school places
- Signpost Children and Young People (CYP) and families to available services and agencies
- Mentoring, advice and support for GRT CYP (0-25), including future education and training pathways
- Provide information to families around attendance and travelling, including dual school placements
- Assist newly arrived GRT families in finding a school place
For admissions to primary and secondary school of school age: all enquiries should be made to the Admissions Team on 01325 388812 / 388027 or by email: email@example.com
FOR EDUCATION PROVIDERS
The Darlington Traveller Education and Achievement Service (TEAS) aims to promote access, inclusion, achievement, attainment and opportunities for traveller families living in or visiting Darlington, we do this by working in Educational Settings and offering;
- Advice and information to raise GRT attendance and attainment
- Advice concerning admissions, induction and school transfer
- Tracking of GRT who are Elective Home, Educated (EHE) / Children Missing from Education (CME)
- Tracking of dual registration pupils
- Inclusion and access advice, including support with transition between and within phases
- Latest advice through networking with other agencies and providers by attending Regional GRT network, SENCo Network, Behaviour and Attendance Partnership and Ofsted Regional Reference Group
- Advice on educational and cultural issues relating to GRT communities
- Deliver GRT history and cultural training workshops / assemblies
- Tailored CPD training for school staff and governors concerning cultural awareness and diversity
- Staff mentoring
- Curriculum planning and support
- Safegaurding advice
Moving On, Aiming High!
New project in conjunction with Traveller Education Service, Darlington Borough Council and Darlington Education Team -funded by the Careers and Enterprise Company.
Moving on, aiming high! A new project to support the career aspirations of the Gypsy Roma Traveller community age 11-18.